1.24.2010

Reading while riding

Last week, I finished reading The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, a definite recommended read for the eager factoid minded. So I enjoyed the rest of my week riding the Metro bookless... thinking that it would be nice to just people watch and look at the scenery. Quickly i discovered how wrong i was. I missed having a book and people watching was hardly entertaining when all i wish for is that an attractive guy sits next to me. Instead, the usual Korean/Chinese/Japanese grandma who finds me a harmless indistinguishable Asian race will sit next to me as I seem like someone who will not steal from her. Anyway, that's a rant for another day.

So! I needed a book.

I've always wanted to try reading short stories as an alternative to fiction novels, which are my utter favorite. Funny thing is that i remember asking Ernie for a short stories book from way back when, but she couldn't resist in the midst of all the SATC craze to get me Love Letters From Great Men instead. An excellent book, don't get me wrong, but also incredibly depressing. . . Something I don't think would make me feel any better about being single near Valentine's Day this year, but that's for another day.

In any case, I went Barnes and Noble and picked up
The Best American Nonrequired Reading
Edited by Dave Eggers

I'm hooked! The book starts with an introduction by Marjane Satrapi, the author who wrote Persepolis. Then jumps right into the Best American this and thats of the 2009. For example: The Best American Titles of Books Published in 2008, one being curbside Consultation of the Colon or Strip and Knit with Style. The the book goes on to talk about the Best American Anonymous Postcards and even Bank Heists. Just a really great great mish mosh of fun.

Apparently it is a book that has been composed by high schoolers from Michigan and San Francisco. And what's even better is that they have a Blogspot to follow their journey for their next book of Bests 2010. I can't wait for these 15 min reads between the Gold, Purple and Bus 720!

I get excited about reading books on buses... My life is full of such excitement. haha.

0 kind regards: